Pittsburgh City Paper wants to help make attending shows as comfortable as possible. So, welcome to our venue guide, where you can find out what to wear, where to smoke, and everything in between. CP will detail the ins and outs of venues in Pittsburgh, so you can fully enjoy the experience and not worry about little nuisances like not knowing the bar was cash-only.
In 2015, Moose Lodge 581 in Upper Lawrenceville became Spirit, a two-level bar, restaurant, and event space. Open Tuesday through Sunday, Spirit’s downstairs area, the Lodge, is open whether or not there is an event. Visitors in the Lodge can grab food or drinks; on certain nights you can see local and regional musical acts, play trivia or bingo, and even enjoy a comedy show. The Hall, found upstairs, is only open during when something is taking place, such as bigger national acts, fundraisers, flea markets, and more.
Located at 242 51st Street, Spirit is open 5 p.m.–2 a.m. Tuesday-Friday and 11 – 2 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Right now, there is no cover before 9 p.m. (some events excluded). Covers range from $5-10, and $15 for bigger national acts.
• Non-smoking venue (this includes vapes)
• Smoking is allowed out front, and reentry is permitted
• Smoking is also permitted on Spirit’s back patio, but of respect for their neighbors, the patio closes at 11 p.m. on weekdays and at midnight on the weekends.
Food & Beverage:
The Lodge (Downstairs):
• Full bar and food menu
• Cash, credit, and debit are accepted
• Open kitchen with food available for dine in or take out.
Dine in hours
• Thursday – Saturday 5 p.m.–1 a.m.
• Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 5 p.m.–midnight
• Sunday and Tuesday–Thursday 5-11 p.m.
• Friday and Saturday 5 p.m. – midnight
• Table service available until 10 p.m.
• Two menus: Dinner and Late Night
• Dinner served 5 p.m.–10 p.m. Includes pizza, smaller plates like salads and stracciatella and larger dishes like hanger steak and fried artichokes
• Late night, 10 p.m.–1 a.m. Includes pizza and smaller plates like meat or veggie arancini and garlic knots
• Brunch is available every Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m.–3 p.m.
• On Sunday, $15 grants access to an unlimited pizza and brunch buffet
• On Saturday, $9 grants access to a pizza and salad buffet. Breakfast food is available à la carte, with bagels, bacon, granola and yogurt, and bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches
• Prices are in the middle , $3.50 for a slice of pizza, $8 for a glass of red wine.
• Happy Hours Tue-Fri. 5-8 p.m. Half-off craft drafts and free garlic knots and Lodge salad with every full pizza purchase
• Tuesdays, 10 p.m.–midnight, half-off craft cocktails and $1 pizza slices
• Always have at least one Gluten-free and one vegan option
• All craft cocktails are made with fresh juice
The Hall (Upstairs):
• Limited bar menu, three drafts available, and limited can and cocktail options
• Pizza by the slice available. For full menu, go downstairs
• Men and women’s bathrooms on both floors
• Standing facing the back of Spirit, Women’s located in front right of the Lodge. In the Hall, front left
• Men’s located in the front left of the Lodge. In the Hall, front right
• Both women’s bathrooms have two stalls
• Both men’s bathrooms have two urinals and one stall
• There is one ADA compliant restroom located on the bottom floor near the kitchen
• The Lodge is all ages until 9 p.m., when it becomes 21+
• The Hall has mostly all-ages shows, but it depends on the act. Visit spiritpgh.com/events to check the age requirements
Lodge, 198, seated and standing room
Hall, 450, mostly standing room, some seats available
• Spirit is a very accessible venue, with plenty of parking
• Parking lot, owned by Spirit, located to the right side of the building
• Paid street parking on 51st St is often available. (Free after 6 p.m.)
• Bike racks in front of the venue
• Walkable for those living in or visiting the Lawrenceville area
• 87, 91, and 93 buses get within walking distance
• Uber and Lyft can drop off/pick up in front
• No dress-code
• No bag policy, but will peak inside bags during larger events
• Coat check available in the winter for $2
• Tickets depend on the show. You can buy online or at the door. Some shows simply require a cover fee at the door. Check Spirit’s website to view purchase information.
• If there is a will call, it will be at the front door
• Cash is needed if purchasing at the door, but there is an ATM in the lobby
• The Lodge is ADA compliant. A ramp is located in the back of the venue, at the patio entrance.
• At this time, the Hall is not ADA compliant